Since 2000 more than 164 people have died nationwide in fires at colleges and universities. Four out of five of those occurred in off-campus housing.
The leading causes of fires are cooking and improper disposal of smoking materials. Never leave your cooking unattended and always dispose of cigarettes or other smoking material properly.
Make sure your apartment has working smoke alarms. The smoke alarms in most fatal fires were missing or disabled.
Common factors in fires related to colleges and universities include:
- Lack of automatic fire sprinklers
- Missing or disabled smoke alarms
- Careless disposal of smoking materials
- Impaired judgment from alcohol consumption
- Fires originating on upholstered furniture, on decks, or porches
Watch a short video about fire safety.
Learn more about fire safety from the Office of Emergency Management or contact them at 540-231-2438.
Submit a Campus Notice
Try the updated campus notice form. This form allows for image submissions. It also requires a valid PID to access.
Get started by going to the form.