I remain deeply concerned by the situation involving our three student-athletes. I remain concerned with the known behavior regardless of the judicial disposition. All of us in the Athletics Department believe behavior above reproach should be the norm for Virginia Tech student-athletes.

I believe that the actions this past winter of Mike Imoh, Brenden Hill, and Marcus Vick were inappropriate and contrary to the values of our university and sports communities, and should warrant sanction. Although these matters are on appeal in the criminal courts, I am moving forward in the best interests of all concerned with disciplinary action. I have spoken to the athletes and have levied sanctions for this coming season. They understand the rationale.

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, also known as the Buckley Amendment, specific student disciplinary actions are confidential and will not be disclosed.

The university’s Comprehensive Action Plan is clear. Never have any university officials suggested that I not take disciplinary action against student athletes nor suggested that I do not have the right or authority to impose disciplinary sanctions from athletic play. Indeed, the university president and I have discussed my options and the appropriate course of action. He clearly has supported my authority and urged me to expeditiously move forward the disciplinary process. He concurs in this action. Since this involves disciplinary action, no further comment is possible on my part.

Jim Weaver

Director, Athletics