Commencement 2005 facts and figures
May 5, 2005
On Friday, May 13, Virginia Tech will hold its 133rd commencement and the 25th National Capital Region commencement ceremony. Here are some facts about this year's graduating class and the ceremony.
* 3,396 undergraduate candidates to receive diplomas.
* 37 students will receive associate’s degrees from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
* 1,106 graduate students (898 masters, 24 Ed.D.s, 184 Ph.D.s) to receive diplomas.
* 88 students will receive Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.) degrees at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, May 14 in the in Commonwealth Ballroom, Squires Student Center.
* Total Virginia Tech graduates from academic year 2004-05 (includes December graduates): Undergraduates, 5,538 (3,962 spring, 1,054 fall, 522 summer school); graduates, 1,918 (1,106 spring, 812 fall).
All University Commencement Ceremony:
* 6 p.m. Friday, May 13, Lane Stadium/Worsham Field.
* Approximately 30,000 family members and guests are expected to attend the event.
* Keynote speaker: David L. Calhoun, president and CEO of GE Transportation.
Graduate School Commencement ceremony:
* 1:30 p.m. Friday, May 13, Cassell Coliseum.
* Keynote speaker: Judith I. Bailey, president of Western Michigan University.
Northern Virginia Commencement ceremony:
* 3 p.m. Sunday, May 15, at the George Mason University Center for the Arts in Fairfax, Va.
* Ceremony to honor 261 degree candidates.
* Keynote speaker: Claire M. Fraser, president and director of The Institute for Genomic Research (TIGR), Rockville, Md.
Calendar of Events (Friday, May 13) :
* Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets Ceremony: 11 a.m., Donaldson Brown Hotel and Conference Center Auditorium.
* Army Commissioning: 1 p.m., Donaldson Brown Hotel and Conference Center Auditorium.
* Graduate School Commencement Ceremony: 1:30 p.m., Cassell Coliseum.
* Naval Commissioning: 2 p.m., Colonial Hall, Squires Student Center.
* University Commencement Ceremony, 6 p.m., Lane Stadium/Worsham Field.
Calendar of Events (Saturday, May 14)
* College of Engineering Convocation: 8 a.m., Cassell Coliseum.
* College of Architecture and Urban Studies Convocation: 8:30 a.m., Burruss Hall Auditorium.
* Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine Convocation: 8:30 a.m., Commonwealth Ballroom, Squires Student Center.
* College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Convocation: 11 a.m., Cassell Coliseum.
* College of Natural Resources: 11 a.m., War Memorial Gymnasium.
* Pamplin College of Business Convocation: 2 p.m., Cassell Coliseum.
* Air Force Commissioning: 3 p.m., Colonial Hall, Squires Student Center.
* Note: The College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences and the College of Science will hold several departmental convocation ceremonies throughout the day.
Calendar of Events (Sunday, May 15)
* National Capital Region Commencement ceremony: 3 p.m., George Mason University Center for the Arts, Fairfax, Va.