Equine medical center to host Horse Health Half-Day for Virginia Pony Club members
November 27, 2007
Virginia Tech's Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center will host an educational event for Virginia Pony Club members on Saturday, Jan. 12, 2008. The meeting, "Horse Health Half-Day," will take place in the center's library from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Presentations will be given by faculty members on a variety of equine healthcare topics and a pizza luncheon will be served. The agenda is as follows:
- 9:30 to 9:35 a.m.: Welcome by Dr. Nat White, Jean Ellen Shehan Professor and Director;
- 9:35 to 9: a.m.: “Biosafety 101 – Win the War on Germs” by Dr. Martin Furr, Professor and Adelaide C. Riggs Chair in Equine Medicine;
- 9:50 to 10:30 a.m.: “Respiratory Disease in the Performance Horse” by Dr. Jennifer Brown, clinical assistant professor in emergency care and equine surgery;
- 10:30 to 11 a.m.: “Gait Analysis – Seeing Your Way to Soundness” by Dr. Nat White;
- 11 to 11:30 a.m.: “Equine Emergencies – Don’t be Scared, be Prepared” by Dr. Sarah Dukti, clinical assistant professor in emergency care and equine surgery;
- 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.: pizza party;
- 12:15 to 1 p.m.: “Caring for Foals – Be Aware of Proper Care” by Dr. Anne Desrochers, clinical assistant professor in equine medicine.
No fee is charged for attending but seating is limited and pre-registration is required. This event is limited to members of the Virginia Pony Club aged 12 through 18. Registrations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
To register, contact Marjorie Musick at (703) 771-6881. In the event of a weather emergency, schedule changes will be posted on the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center website.
Virginia Tech’s Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center is a premier full-service equine hospital located in Leesburg, Va., that offers advanced specialty care, 24-hour emergency treatment and diagnostic services for all ages and breeds of horses. One of three campuses that comprise the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, the center and its team of equine specialists are committed to providing exceptional treatment to patients, superior service to clients and cutting-edge research to the equine industry.