Virginia Tech launches search for new dean of University Libraries
September 9, 2010
Virginia Tech announces an international search for a new dean of the University Libraries, a position that has been held by Dean Eileen Hitchingham who is retiring after a distinguished career as a librarian and administrator.
During her tenure at Virginia Tech, Hitchingham significantly increased library collections, led major renovation projects of library spaces, oversaw numerous technological advancements in university library support services, and provided exceptional support to the scholarship of undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff.
Senior Vice President and Provost Mark McNamee will chair the search committee. Members of the search committee are:
- Mark Brodsky, public services archivist, University Libraries;
- Karen DePauw, vice president and dean for graduate education;
- Gary Downey, Alumni Distinguished Professor, science and technology in society;
- Dennis Herron, purchasing manager, University Libraries;
- David Kingston, University Distinguished Professor, chemistry;
- Gail McMillan, director, digital library archives, University Libraries;
- Mark McNamee, senior vice president and provost and search committee chair;
- Heather Moorefield-Lang, education and applied social sciences librarian, University Libraries;
- Lesley Moyo, director, library research and instructional services, University Libraries;
- Leslie O'Brien, director, technical services and collection management, University Libraries;
- Sue Ott Rowlands, dean, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences; and
- Aaron Purcell, director, special collections department, University Libraries.
The search committee welcomes nominations for the position. Please send nominations to: 210 Burruss Hall (0132) or by e-mail. Applicants must apply online at www.jobs.vt.edu, posting number 0100652. Applicants must complete a very brief faculty application, attach a vitae, letter of interest, vision statement for leading the university libraries, and names of at least three professional references. For full consideration, all application materials should be received by Oct. 15, 2010.
- Blacksburg, Va.
- Campus Experience
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- College of Architecture and Urban Studies
- College of Engineering
- College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences
- College of Natural Resources and Environment
- College of Science
- Graduate Education
- Pamplin College of Business
- University Libraries
- Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine