Winners selected for 2010 Home Sweet Home family recipe contest
October 27, 2010
Seven winning recipes have been selected from the 150 submitted by students’ family members during the seventh annual Home Sweet Home recipe contest, sponsored by Virginia Tech Dining Services.
Denise Bogaty-Smith of Glenshaw, Pa. was awarded the grand prize for her Thai-style Pork Stew recipe. Her family will receive two nights’ lodging at the Inn at Virginia Tech for Family Day on Oct. 30.
The winning recipes will be featured at the Home Sweet Home dinner to be held at D2, 5-7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29. All families, students, and community members are welcome to attend. The dinner price is $11.25 cash and $3.75 for students with Flex dining plans.
Winners’ recipes will be adapted to serve the 1,500 guests expected to be in attendance. In addition, each entrant will receive a cookbook featuring all of the contest entries. Students of the families whose recipes were selected will receive $50 in Dining Dollars, and winners will receive a personalized cutting board and cookbook.
Winning recipes include
- Grand prize-winner Thai-style Pork Stew from Denise Bogaty-Smith and Garrett Smith of Glenshaw, Pa., a junior accounting and information systems major in the Pamplin College of Business;
- Orzo with Roasted Vegetables from Denise Bogaty-Smith and Garrett Smith of Glenshaw, Pa., a junior accounting and information systems major in the Pamplin College of Business;
- French Lentil Salad from Cindy Kube and Kirsten Kube of Virginia Beach, Va., a senior political science major in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences;
- Grilled Citrus Salmon from Cathy Gross and Austin Cole of Marion, Va., a freshman University Studies major at Virginia Tech;
- Pineapple Chicken Enchiladas from Monique Dean and Matthew Dean of Eldersburg, Md., a freshman University Studies major at Virginia Tech;
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pie from Dorothy Engel and Tyler Engel of Davidsonville, Md., a freshman University Studies major at Virginia Tech; and
- Peanut Butter Pie Family Game Night Dessert from Linda Gibson and Jordan Gibson of Jonesville, Va., a freshman general engineering major in the College of Engineering.
Flex Plans, Dining Dollars, Hokie Passport Accounts, and cash will be accepted at the door.
Free parking is available in the Coliseum Lot, Engel Lot (after 5:30 p.m.), and the Ag Quad Lot. A visitor’s pass may be obtained Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Visitor’s Information Center, located on Southgate Drive. Find more parking information online or call (540) 231-3200.