Virginia Tech announces search committee for dean of the Pamplin College of Business
June 13, 2012
Virginia Tech has announced the search committee for a new dean for the Pamplin College of Business.
Earlier this spring, Richard E. Sorensen announced his retirement effective July 2013 after 31 years of service to Virginia Tech as dean of the college. Sorensen arrived at Virginia Tech in July 1982 as dean and professor of management science (now Business Information Technology). Having served as dean of the Appalachian State University’s business school for nine years before coming to Virginia Tech, he will have served as dean for a total of 40 years when he retires.
The Pamplin College of Business offers undergraduate and graduate programs in accounting and information systems, business information technology, economics, finance, hospitality and tourism management, management, and marketing. The college emphasizes the development of leadership, technology, multicultural, and international business knowledge and skills and is committed to serving business and society through the expertise of its faculty, alumni, and students.
Senior Vice President and Provost Mark McNamee will chair the search committee. Members of the search committee are
- Rajesh Bagchi, associate professor of marketing;
- Reza Barkhi, PriceWaterhouseCoopers Junior Faculty Fellow, department head, and professor of accounting and information systems;
- France Bélanger, Tom and Daisy Byrd Senior Faculty Fellow and professor of accounting and information systems;
- Richard Benson, who holds the Paul and Dorothea Torgersen Dean’s Chair in Engineering and dean of the College of Engineering;
- Leanne Brownlee-Bowen, head secretary, Department of Finance, Insurance and Business Law;
- Kevin Carlson, associate professor of management;
- Noel Chitwood, chair, Pamplin Advisory Council;
- Karen DePauw, vice president and dean for graduate education;
- Barbara Hoopes, associate professor of business information technology, National Capital Region;
- Raman Kumar, Russell V. and Arlene F. Oliver Professor of Investment Management and professor of finance, insurance, and business law;
- Joe Meredith, president, Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center;
- Suzanne Murrmann, professor of hospitality and tourism management; and
- Christopher Zobel, professor of business information technology.
The search committee welcomes nominations for the position. Virginia Tech has engaged Isaacson, Miller to assist with this search. For confidential inquiries, or to nominate an individual for this position, please Phillip Jaeger, vice president at Isaacson, Miller, or call 202-216-2276. You may also send nominations to Mark McNamee, or via campus mail, 210 Burruss Hall (0132).
The position description and application process will be announced in August 2012 and will be available through the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost website.