Dean of Students Tom Brown has been given the additional responsibilities of interim assistant vice president in the Division of Student Affairs at Virginia Tech.

Brown will provide on an interim basis oversight of Student Centers and Activities and continue to provide leadership for the Dean of Students Office, Multicultural Programs and Services, and the Cranwell International Center. He will hold office space in both East Eggleston Hall and Squires Student Center.

Guy Sims, assistant vice president for student affairs for seven years will leave Virginia Tech to become assistant to the president for equity, diversity, and inclusion at Bluefield State College. 

During his time at Virginia Tech, Sims provided leadership for Student Centers and Activities, Multicultural Programs and Services, and the Cranwell International Center. 

“Guy will be missed,” said Patty Perillo, vice president for student affairs. “His relation-centered approach endeared him to so many. He was a terrific campus citizen, always working to enhance our community in all ways possible. His wonderful approach to leadership will serve him well in his next position.”

In a note to division faculty and staff, Sims wrote, “I cherish the connections I have made with my divisional colleagues, colleagues across the campus, with the students, and with members of the community. I will treasure all of the experiences I shared with many of you, as well as projects and initiatives which will have lasting effects for the Virginia Tech community.”