Registration opens for Spring Family Weekend 2014
January 27, 2014
Jan. 29 Editor's note -- Check your calendar: Spring Family Weekend is April 25-27, 2014. The Virginia Tech Family Guide and Calendar given out at new student orientation last summer incorrectly listed the Spring Family Weekend as April 19. Please make note of the correct date on your planning calendar and join us in Blacksburg for the festivities.
It’s time to begin making plans for what is likely the biggest weekend of the spring on the Virginia Tech campus.
Spring Family Weekend 2014 will take place April 25-27. Registration opens online Tuesday, Feb. 4. This year’s schedule features a wide variety of events and activities, including entertainment, a tailgate party, football and an international street festival. It also includes the introduction of the 2014 Virginia Tech Family of the Year.
Included in this year’s schedule of events
- Jazz on the Lawn will be held Friday, April 25 from 7:30-9 p.m. The concert will feature the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. The concert is free and open to all. It will be held on Henderson Lawn in downtown Blacksburg on College Avenue.
- The Spring Family Tailgate will be held Saturday, April 26 from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Join with other Hokie families and friends for a pre-game BBQ, Virginia Tech style. The HokieBird will be there, along with games, and entertainment. Tickets are $12 for adults or $5 for 12 and under. This event, which will be held on McComas Hall Plaza, is expected to sell out so be sure to sign up early.
- Virginia Tech Football Spring Game will be Saturday, April 26 at 2 p.m. The Hokie Nation gathers at Lane Stadium for the annual Maroon and White game. Gates open at 1 p.m. The Virginia Tech Family of the Year will be introduced on the field. This award honors a parent, family member, or family of a current student who has made a significant impact on the student’s college success. The game will be on Worsham Field in Lane Stadium.
- Center for the Arts Gala Celebration with guest star Natalie Cole is scheduled for Saturday, April 26 at 6:45 p.m. This black tie event celebrates the first season in the recently completed Moss Arts Center. The Virginia Symphony Orchestra performs. Renowned R&B and jazz vocalist, recording artist, and songwriter Natalie Cole will take the stage in the second half of the program. Purchase tickets and find more information.
- International Street Fair will be held Sunday, April 27 from noon-5 p.m. Downtown Blacksburg will be transformed into a multicultural marketplace, where vendors sell international foods and handicrafts. The fair also features traditional music and dance from around the world. The location will be College Avenue in downtown Blacksburg.
Make plans now to attend and register online beginning Feb. 4. Registration ends April 14. Spring Family Weekend is sponsored by the Division of Student Affairs and supported by a grant from the Hokie Parents Fund.