Winter session and winter break wrap up; key student information as spring term starts Tuesday
January 14, 2015
The final days of winter session and winter break are here, and Virginia Tech students have already begun to return as spring semester classes begin Tuesday Jan. 20.
Residence halls will open at noon on Friday Jan.16; students returning to their residence hall room are asked to come back to campus Saturday or Sunday.
New students and newly assigned resident students will be able to check-in to their residence hall between noon and 5 p.m. on Friday, Jan.16, or Saturday, Jan. 17. New students, especially those who need a Hokie Passport and other university services, are encouraged to come Friday as university offices will be closed Saturday, Sunday, and Monday (in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day).
On Friday, Jan. 16, dining services will be available at DXpress and Au Bon Pain in Squires Student Center. Owens Food Court and West End Market will open on Sunday, Jan. 18. Regular hours resume at most other dining centers on Monday, Jan. 19.
A full schedule of dining hours leading up to the first day of classes is available on the Dining Services website.
Other schedule notes include:
Schiffert Health Center
Closed on Monday, Jan. 19, but open regular hours starting Tuesday, Jan. 20.
Cook Counseling Center
Closed on Monday, Jan. 19 but open regular hours starting Tuesday, Jan. 20.
Student orientation programs
- New undergraduate student orientation: To be held Friday, Jan. 16, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Squires Student Center. Lunch will be provided. Check the orientation schedule for more information.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant workshop: To be held Thursday, Jan. 15 at 8:20 a.m., in the Graduate Life Center Multipurpose Room.
- New graduate student orientation: To be held Friday, Jan. 16 at 2 p.m. in the Graduate Life Center Multipurpose Room. Visit the new graduate student website for more information.
- New international student orientation: The Cranwell International Center at Harper Hall will welcome new incoming international students with a series of activities from Jan. 14 to Jan. 19. Check the Cranwell website for more information.
University Libraries will operate under break hours through Sunday, Jan. 18. The libraries will be closed Monday, Jan. 19, and will resume normal semester hours on Tuesday, Jan. 20.
University Libraries will host a casino night for new students on Friday, Jan. 23., from 5 to 8 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room located on the first floor of Newman Library.
McComas Hall resumes normal hours for recreation and fitness on Monday, Jan. 19, opening at 6:30 a.m. and closing at midnight. The McComas pool closes at 10 p.m.
War Memorial Gym also returns to normal hours on Monday, Jan. 19. The War Memorial Hall pool remains closed until Feb. 2 for maintenance.
Registration for intramural sports will open on Monday, Jan. 19. A free week of fitness begins Tuesday, Jan. 20. Visit the Recreational Sports website for more information.
Student Centers and Activities
- Squires Student Center will be open on Monday, Jan. 19.
- Johnston Student Center will be closed on Monday, Jan. 19, and will be open normal hours starting Tuesday, Jan. 20.
- The Graduate Life Center at Donaldson-Brown will open on Monday, Jan.19 from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
University offices will be closed on Monday, Jan. 19.
Virginia Tech will host “What Happened to the Dream?” from Jan. 19 to Feb. 2 to honor the legacy of the civil rights leader. The celebration features a number of events that are free and open to the public.
The on-campus University Bookstore and off-campus Volume Two Bookstore are ready with regular and extended hours as students prepare for spring semester. Visit the Virginia Tech Services website for store hours information.
Blacksburg Transit returns to full service operation on Tuesday, Jan. 20.
Hokie Bike Hub
The Hokie Bike Hub returns to regular hours on Tuesday, Jan. 20. Those hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with bike assistance available from 10 a.m.to 5 p.m. Visit the Alternative Transportation website for more information.