Virginia Tech announces search committee for the dean of the College of Science
June 1, 2015
Virginia Tech has announced the search committee for a new dean of the College of Science. Current Dean Lay Nam Chang announced that he will be stepping down from the position in the summer of 2016.
The College of Science is dedicated to fostering a research-intensive environment that promotes scientific inquiry and outreach. The college gives students a comprehensive foundation in the scientific method, offering programs in cutting-edge areas including those in energy and the environment, developmental science across the lifespan, infectious diseases, computational science, nanoscience, and neuroscience, among others. Outstanding faculty members teach courses and conduct research in biological sciences, chemistry, economics, geosciences, mathematics, physics, psychology, and statistics. The college’s forward-thinking Academy of Integrated Science houses four new multi-departmental undergraduate degree programs – computational modeling and data analytics, nanoscience, neuroscience, and systems biology – preparing students to thrive in today’s cross-disciplinary collaborative science environment.
Members of the search committee are:
- Eric Bahel, associate professor of economics
- Terri Bourdon, senior instructor of mathematics
- Patricia Dove, University Distinguished Professor and C.P. "Sally" Miles Professor of Science in geosciences
- Alan Grant, dean, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Leanna House, associate professor of statistics
- Liwu Li, professor of biological sciences
- Timothy Long, professor of chemistry
- Amanda Morris, assistant professor of chemistry
- Michel Pleimling, professor of physics
- Tonya Pruitt, administrative specialist, Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Statistical Analysis
- Sanjay Raman, associate vice president, National Capital Region, and professor, electrical and computer engineering
- Nancy Ross, professor and department head of geosciences
- John Rossi, professor of mathematics
- Pablo Sobrado, associate professor of biochemistry
- Jeff Walters, Harold H. Bailey Professor of Biology in biological sciences
- Susan White, associate professor of psychology
The search committee welcomes nominations for the position. Virginia Tech has engaged Isaacson, Miller to assist with this search. For confidential inquiries, or to nominate an individual for this position, please email Phillip Jaeger, vice president at Isaacson, Miller, or call 202-216-2276. You may also send nominations to Amy Hogan through email or via campus mail, 330 Burruss Hall (0132).
The position description and application process will be announced in September 2015 and will be available through the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost website.