Virginia Tech employees have once again exemplified the university’s motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), by providing scholarships for the children and spouses of fellow employees.

Thanks to the generosity of Virginia Tech employees, 15 members of the class of 2020 have received scholarships from the Employees’ Spouse and Dependent Scholarship Fund. Since 2000, the fund has awarded more than $127,000 in scholarships to 191 incoming students.

The scholarship provides financial support to employees' children or spouses who enroll at Virginia Tech as a first-semester freshman or transfer student. It is the flagship program of the university’s annual Faculty/Staff Campaign and is supported by the Presidential Dependent Scholarship Endowment. Prospective students can apply for the scholarship through the university’s online scholarship gateway.

“I’m honored that my colleagues have chosen to give to this fund, making this scholarship possible for my daughter and countless others,” said Brad Mullins, a Virginia Cooperative Extension agent in Dickenson County, Virginia. His daughter, Elizabeth Mullins, of Clintwood, Virginia, is one of the students who received the scholarship this year.

“I am very grateful to those who donated,” said Elizabeth Mullins, a first-year student majoring in animal and poultry science. “It’s wonderful to know that the faculty and staff at Virginia Tech are willing to invest in my future.”

“For me, Virginia Tech was a natural fit,” said Andrew Zhang, of Blacksburg, Virginia, another scholarship recipient. “I always knew it was where I belonged. This scholarship helps my family with the costs associated with furthering my education.”

Zhang is a freshman majoring in business information technology and the son of Xunzhong Zhang, a research assistant professor in the Department of Crop and Soil Environmental Science, and Jianfeng Zheng, a certified nurse practitioner for Schiffert Health Center.

Other 2016 recipients of the Employees’ Spouse and Dependent Scholarship include:

Learn more about the Employees’ Spouse and Dependent Scholarship.

For more information about the scholarship, contact Tom McAvoy.

Written by Katie Huger, employee communications manager.