Construction begins this week on three academic buildings that will be renovated over the next year. Demolition began last week.
The renovation/renew project focuses on three historic buildings located on the Drillfield: Davidson Hall (front section), Sandy Hall, and the Liberal Arts Building.
Collectively, these renovations will increase the functionality of three underutilized buildings, address several deferred maintenance issues, and reduce critical space deficiencies.
The project is estimated to cost about $35 million and be completed by summer 2018. All three renovations will be accomplished in alignment with the university’s goal (Virginia Tech Climate Action Commitment) for all major renovations and new construction to achieve a minimum LEED rating of silver.
To accommodate construction materials and equipment for all three renovations, the parking lot beside Davidson Hall, on West Campus Drive has been closed. Additionally, 14 parking spaces on Drillfield Drive, directly in front of Davidson Hall, have been closed and will serve as a pedestrian walkway while construction fencing is in place. The parking spaces will become available again when all three projects have been completed. Employees with a faculty/staff parking permit who normally park in those spaces are encouraged to park in any of the lots, or the garage, on Perry Street where there are ample spaces available.
The architect/engineer for the project is Glave and Holmes Architecture and the general contractor is Branch & Associates, Inc.
Davidson Hall houses offices, classrooms, and laboratories for the chemistry department. The renovation includes exterior repairs to masonry and window replacement, and will fully rehabilitate the interior of the 28,688 square foot historic front section of the building. That portion of the building houses seven classrooms, in addition to multiple administrative and faculty offices for the Department of Chemistry. The building, which dates to the 1930s, will get a full overhaul into a modern teaching-and-research building, leaving only the original stone facade untouched.
A $31.1 million renovation to middle and back portions of the building was completed in 2014 provided 45,000 square feet of state-of-the-art lab space and a new lecture hall that seats 348 people.
Sandy Hall is an academic building on the Ag Quad that was built in 1924. The building houses offices for the School of Neuroscience. Sandy Hall is an academic building on the Ag Quad that was built in 1924. The building houses offices for the School of Neuroscience. Renovations include several administrative offices, conference rooms, and a distance learning room.
The 12,823 square foot Sandy Hall will receive a comprehensive interior renovation and rehabilitation of the building exterior, and two additions totaling 4,800 gross square feet will be constructed on the Ag Quad (south) side of the building to provide additional academic support space, vertical egress circulation, and accessible facilities.
Liberal Arts Building
The Liberal Arts Building, formerly the Performing Arts Building, is used by the School of Performing Arts and Cinema and the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences. It was built in the 1899 to house Virginia Tech’s first Young Men's Christian Association.
The 14,314-square-foot building will receive a comprehensive interior and exterior renovation, and a 2,000-square-foot addition will be constructed on the northwest end of the building to provide ADA accessible facilities.
The renovated building will house the dean’s suite as well as the Undergraduate Academic Affairs and Undergraduate Research Institute offices.
Learn more about the renovation/renew project.