Additional support resources available as university observes Day of Remembrance
April 10, 2017
As Virginia Tech approaches the 2017 Day of Remembrance, additional support services will be available to students, faculty and staff, alumni, and community residents attending events and gatherings on campus.
Cook Counseling Center will be open on Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for all Virginia Tech students. In addition, two Cook Counseling Center staff members will be located on the Drillfield on Saturday during the 3.2 Mile Run in Remembrance and community picnic, and Sunday until the conclusion of the candlelight vigil.
Virginia Tech employees are invited to come to Room F in the Donaldson-Brown Graduate Life Center for remembrance and quiet reflection. The room will be open Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and will have areas for quiet reflection and to leave written thoughts and creative images. A Hokie Wellness staff member and counselor from the Employee Assistance Program will be present throughout the day. Refreshments, coffee, and tea will be served.
In addition to those from Cook Counseling Center, mental health counselors from community agencies will be on campus Friday through Sunday. Counselors will wear maroon credential holders that will identify them as counseling support, and they will rotate through areas with events or gatherings.
On Friday, counselors will be on campus from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., on Sunday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m., and at both midnight candle ceremonies.
For more information on the 2017 Day of Remembrance, visit the We Remember website.
Those in the university community who may wish assistance or desire counseling support may contact:
- Cook Counseling Center at 540-231-6557
- Dean of Students Office at 540-231-3787
- Office of Housing and Residence Life at 540-231-6205
- Hokie Wellness at 540-231-2233 (students) or 540-231-8878 (employees)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Anthem at 1-855-223-9277
- Aetna at 1-888-238-6232 (company name: Commonwealth of Virginia, username: COVA, password: COVA)
- Kaiser Permanente at 1-866-517-7042
- Referrals to a campus cleric may be done through the Dean of Students Office at 540-231-3787.