Krista Timney will join Virginia Tech’s College of Natural Resources and Environment as communications director on Jan. 4, 2018. Timney will be only the second communications director for the college, following Lynn Davis’ retirement after serving 25 years in that position.

Timney brings with her an extensive background in higher education, with 20 years of experience in admissions and orientation as well as marketing and communications.

“I had been looking for an opportunity to find a director position within marketing and communications, but I was especially excited about this position because of the focus on natural resources and the environment,” Timney said.

“It’s a field that is very interesting to me, and this is the most highly ranked program in the United States. I’m looking forward to learning and figuring out ways to tell people about everything that’s happening in the college,” she added.

Paul Winistorfer, dean of the College of Natural Resources and Environment, points to Timney’s demonstrated marketing and communications expertise specific to higher education and the use of digital communication tools.

“We are thrilled to have someone of Krista’s caliber,” he said. “She comes to us from Indiana University, where she planned and implemented comprehensive strategic initiatives that directly correlated to a boost in admissions. Telling our story is key to our relevance, and embracing the digital world is now more important than ever before.”

According to Chief Advancement Officer Emily Hutchins, Timney will play an integral part in the college’s advancement efforts, which include creating a digital strategy plan and developing a cohesive web presence through a redesigned website and social media efforts, creating marketing materials for the college’s degree programs, and refreshing the college brand to align with the university’s new brand.

“Krista has a strong marketing background and the expertise to help us effectively advertise our programs and attract students,” Hutchins said. “In order to maintain our No. 1 ranking, we need to develop a completely new look and feel that is uniquely ours. I think she is going to be able to do some things that the college has never seen before.”

Timney began her career in higher education working with first-generation and low-income students as an Upward Bound project director at Potomac State College of West Virginia University. She went on to hold a variety of positions in admissions and orientation before joining the Office of Admissions at Indiana University–Bloomington in 2010 as a senior associate director of marketing and communications.

“I always wanted to work in a higher education environment,” said Timney, whose mother worked at Frostburg State University in Maryland. “I’ve always enjoyed being on college campuses and talking with students.”

Timney says she is drawn to the creative elements of marketing and communications.

“I consider myself a storyteller,” she said. “I like the integrative approach to marketing that uses multiple channels to deliver content to the public. There are so many marketing channels to explore, and the best campaigns use them all. I’m looking forward to learning what the students and faculty are doing, and I’m excited to use those digital and print channels to tell their stories.”

Timney earned her doctorate in educational leadership from Clemson University in 2011 and holds degrees from Frostburg State University, Penn State, and James Madison University.

In her free time, Timney enjoys hiking, photography, and golfing. She is also an avid genealogist and says she is excited to move to Virginia to continue discovering her family’s history.

“I’ve discovered that my family has roots that go way back in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley. I’m looking forward to exploring the area and learning even more,” she said.