Weijun Xie has been appointed as an assistant professor with the Grado Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, part of the College of Engineering. He is one of 27 new faculty members hired by the college for the 2017-18 academic year.

Xie’s research interests involve data-driven distributionally robust optimization as well as stochastic programming and discrete optimization. He also has application interests in transportation/logistics, machine learning, power systems, health care, and manufacturing. Xie's work has been accepted or published in well-known journals, such as Mathematical Programming, Transportation Science, and IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.

Xie has also performed various professional services during his career, including serving as a session chair for the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences Annual Meeting. In 2015, he received the Alice and John Jarvis Ph.D. Student Research Award in Industrial and Systems Engineering from Georgia Tech. Recently, one of his papers received honorable mention in 2017 George Nicholson Student Paper Competition from INFORMS.

“As a new faculty member, I appreciate the kindness from all of the faculty and staff from my department," said Xie. "The faculty and staff here are always willing to offer help address questions or direct me to the right persons for my questions. They have helped me set up my office, purchase equipment, recruit students, submit my first proposal, and many others. Without their help, I could not have transitioned to be an assistant professor so smoothly.”

Xie received B.E. in civil engineering from Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, a master's in civil engineering, and master's in applied mathematics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and obtained his doctoral in operations research from Georgia Tech with a minor in computer science in 2017.

Written by Akiko Nakata and Rhonda Hawley