Summer Arts Festival 2018 kicks off on June 1
May 24, 2018
The 2018 Summer Arts Festival, presented in partnership between the School of Performing Arts at Virginia Tech and the Town of Blacksburg, offers a summerlong season of activities and entertainment beginning June 1. This is the 27th year of the festival. All events are free and family friendly.
Friday Night Outdoor Concerts
Live music in a variety of styles will take place on Henderson Lawn, at the corner of Main Street and College Avenue. All concerts begin at 6 p.m. In case of inclement weather, concerts will be moved to the Old Dominion Ballroom in Squires Student Center.
- Sexual Chocolate (R&B), June 1
- Gerry TImlin (Irish folk), June 8
- Half Throttle (country) June 15
- Hoppie Vaughan & The Ministers of Soul (blue-eyed soul), June 22
- The Rick Strickland Band (beach), June 29
- The Domino Band (R&B, soul, variety), July 13
- Surrender Dorothy (classic rock and country), July 20
- Crossties (bluegrass), July 27
Lyric Classic Matinee Series
Stay cool indoors with a free classic movie at the Lyric Theatre. All movies begin at 3 p.m. on select Wednesdays and Saturdays. The Lyric Theatre is located at 135 College Avenue.
- “The Manchurian Candidate” — June 9 and 13
- “Raiders of the Lost Ark” — July 7 and 11
- “Double Indemnity” — Aug. 11 and 15
Two live theatre events will be presented. Performances will be held in Squires Studio Theatre, located on the second floor of the Squires Student Center at 290 College Avenue. Free reservations will be available online.
- “Charlotte’s Web” — June 16-18, 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. By Joseph Robinette, based on the book by E.B. White; presented by the Roanoke Children’s Theatre.
- "Fiorello!” — Aug. 10 and 11 at 7:00 p.m. Book by Jerome Weidman and George Abbott; music by Jerry Bock; lyrics by Sheldon Harnick.
- Honoring the Path — June 8 to July 28. New mixed-media paintings by John Wiercioch at the Squires Perspective Gallery.
- Summer Solstice Fest — June 16, 1-11 p.m.
- Independence Day Celebration — July 4
- Art at the Market — July 21, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Steppin’ Out street festival — Aug. 3-4
- Blacksburg’s Market Square Jam — every Wednesday, June 6 through Sept. 26, 8–10 p.m.
Parking is available on weekends and after 5 p.m. weekdays in the Squires Lot at the corner of College Avenue and Otey Street, the Architecture Annex Lot on Otey Street, and the Perry Street/Prices Fork lots, and in the North End parking garage. Find more parking information online or call 540-231-3200. Alternative parking is available in the Kent Squire parking garage and the Farmers Market metered parking lot, both located on Draper Road. Additional downtown Blacksburg parking information is available online.
The festival is presented in partnership between the School of Performing Arts at Virginia Tech and the Town of Blacksburg. All events are free and open to the public. Find more information online or contact Jane Harrison at 540-231-5921.