Tailgating goes green for 2018 Virginia Tech football season
September 6, 2018
There will undoubtedly be a sea of maroon and orange during Virginia Tech’s home opener against William & Mary on Sept. 8. But you might also encounter a sea of green as the Office of Sustainability’s Game Day Green Tailgating team takes to tailgating lots across campus to collect recyclables.
During home football games, the student-run Green Tailgating team collects bottles and cans from tailgates and hands out blue recycling bags. The team also strives to build awareness around sustainability, recycling, and waste reduction through their efforts. During the 2017 football season, nearly 14,000 pounds of recycling material was collected during games.
The 2018 Green Tailgating season kicks off on Sept. 8 at the William & Mary game. The team will have a booth at Hokie Village and will visit five of the main tailgate lots, including Cassell Coliseum, Stadium, Maintenance, Outdoor Track/Softball, and Chicken Hill.
Click here to learn more about Game Day Green Tailgating. For additional questions and to join the Green Tailgating team, please contact the Office of Sustainability at 540-231-4300.
More tips for tailgate recycling:
- Look for recycling flags posted in the Coliseum, Stadium, Track/Field House, Chicken Hill, and Facilities parking lots where individuals can obtain free blue recycling bags.
- Game Day Green team volunteers also hand out recycling bags in many of the parking lots surrounding Lane Stadium.
- Plastic bottles, glass bottles, aluminum cans, and plastics #1-2 can all be recycled.
- Filled recycling bags should be left at a recycling flag.
- Paper plates, napkins, styrofoam, foil food pans, solo cups, plastic cutlery, and food waste are not recyclable and should not be included in the bag.
Learn more about Virginia Tech’s recycling initiatives here.
Facilities’ Sustainability Internship Program