Facilities shares important reminders for hurricane preparedness, reporting outages
September 11, 2018
From Virginia Tech Facilities
Here are some important reminders from Virginia Tech Facilities to keep close by during a hurricane or emergency weather situation:
Reporting outages, flooding: Immediately report observations of flooding, stopped up storm drains, power outages, blocked roadways, and other concerns as follows (please be as detailed and accurate as possible):
- During normal business hours, contact the Facilities Operations Control Center at 540-231-4300.
- After hours, contact the Virginia Tech Police Department non-emergency line at 540-231-6411.
Close all windows during the rain; be sure to close windows when leaving for the evening or weekend to avoid significant water damage.
Flooding: If campus roads are blocked due to water, find another route. Remember…turn around, don’t drown!
Develop communications and staffing plans:
- Have a plan for staffing needs to support ongoing efforts such as research projects ahead of extreme weather.
- Have a communication plan in place that summarizes the location of critical interests and equipment.
- Be sure to communicate that plan with the main college and institute contacts on file with Virginia Tech Emergency Management at 540-231-4873. Events such as power outages will be communicated through the contact list in Emergency Management.
For specific questions regarding campus facilities, please reach out to the Facilities Operations Control Center at 540-231-4300.
- Virginia Tech Status Page: https://vt.edu/status.html
- Hurricane preparedness tips from Virginia Tech Emergency Management: https://emergency.vt.edu/ready/guides/hurricane.html
- Blacksburg weather: https://www.weather.gov/RNK
- Baltimore/Washington weather: https://www.weather.gov/lwx/
- Wakefield weather: https://www.weather.gov/akq/