University Distinguished Professors issue statement on Amazon's HQ2 and new Innovation Campus
November 13, 2018
Editor's note: The University Distinguished Professorship is a pre-eminent faculty rank bestowed by the university’s Board of Visitors upon members of the university faculty whose scholarly attainments have attracted national and/or international recognition.
The University Distinguished Professors congratulate President Sands and his executive team for their successful efforts to work with State and Federal elected officials and other stakeholders to secure Northern Virginia as one of the sites for Amazon’s HQ2.
By building a relationship with Amazon throughout this process, they have led the way to creating the new Virginia Tech Innovation Campus. This exciting new resource for Virginia and the nation offers unprecedented research and educational opportunities for Virginia Tech faculty and students and will significantly enhance the University’s stature and reputation.
The UDPs are eager to assist in implementing this groundbreaking initiative that will propel Virginia Tech into the top echelon of global land-grant institutions.
- Bob Bodnar, Geosciences
- Dushan Boroyevich, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Harold Burkhart, Forest Resources and Environmental Conservation
- Dennis Dean, Biochemistry
- Patricia Dove, Geosciences
- Marc Edwards, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Nikki Giovanni, English
- Mike Hochella, Geosciences
- David Kingston, Chemistry
- Paul Knox, Urban Affairs and Planning
- Tim Luke, Political Science
- X.J. Meng, Biomedical Science
- Tom Ollendick, Psychology
- Karen Roberto, Human Development and Family Science
- John Tyson, Biological Sciences
- Roe-Hoan Yoon, Mining and Minerals Engineering