A message from President Tim Sands: Be part of InclusiveVT Week
September 4, 2019
To the university community,
As we continue an exciting fall semester at Virginia Tech, I invite you to join me in celebrating InclusiveVT Week on Sept. 8-13. Held annually on the week after Labor Day, InclusiveVT Week is dedicated to our institutional and individual commitment to Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. Virginia Tech aspires to be a welcoming, accessible, and inclusive university for all, a place where we value our freedom to speak and communicate across our differences through civil and respectful dialogue.
This year’s theme, “Where Everyone Belongs,” provides a platform for faculty, staff, and students to engage, share ideas, and connect through activities that celebrate our diverse communities and strengthen our inclusive culture.
To learn more and take part, take a moment to review the week’s activities. The list is updated daily so check back often. In additional to these events, there are many other things you can do.
As a student you can:
- Introduce yourself to someone in class who you don’t know.
- Invite a friend to join you at one of the events during the week.
- Offer encouragement to someone who is having a difficult time.
- Tell someone how much you appreciate their support.
- Sit with someone new in a dining facility.
- Visit one of the cultural centers in Squires.
As an employee you can:
- Offer to help someone who is busier than you at work.
- Tell someone’s supervisor they are doing a great job.
- Encourage a colleague who is struggling.
- Grab a coffee or go to lunch with someone you haven’t seen in a while.
- Invite someone to join you at one of the art exhibits.
- Meet your InclusiveVT representative.
Each one of us has the power to make a difference in someone’s life. Thank you for building up our community.