Media Advisory: Match Day 2020 at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
March 9, 2020
Editor's note: Due to COVID-19, the Match Day ceremony is canceled. Students will receive their Match Day notification via email. The university will share a news release on Friday afternoon with information about residency matches for the class of 2020.
The Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (VTCSOM) is preparing for its seventh year of participation in Match Day, the day medical students across the country find out what residency program they will attend. This year, Match Day falls on Friday, March 20. Medical students across the country find out where they are headed next to continue their medical education in a specialty of choice.
So far, with six graduating classes of around 40 students each year, the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine has had a 100 percent match rate, meaning all 240 graduates have been placed into a residency program. Last year, the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) had its largest main residency match on record, with 44,600 registered applicants vying for more than 35,000 total positions.
This year, the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine has its largest number of students participating in the match process, with 45 students. The media is welcome to attend a public celebration ceremony where members of the class of 2020 will share where they are headed for residency. It will start at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, March 20, in the school’s auditorium that can be accessed from the second and third floor of the building. The ceremony is expected to end around 2 p.m.
Just before the public ceremony, the students will open envelopes revealing their residency match location in a CLOSED session at noon. The school’s communication team can share photos/video from the session to the media, but media will not be allowed in to observe or collect assets until the public ceremony starts at 12:30 p.m.
Questions may be directed to Alison Matthiessen via email or by phone at 540-526-2603 (office).
- ‘Ides of March’ no ‘match’ for medical school’s class of 2019
- Medical school’s fifth Match Day a perfect match (2018)
- Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine continues 100 percent residency match placement (2017)
- Making matches at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
- Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Match Day proves third time a charm (2016)
- Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine achieves 100 percent in residency matches for second year (2015)
- A perfect match: Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine’s inaugural class achieves 100 percent in residency matches (2014)