As fall semester classes begin, use these spaces for study and work
August 21, 2020
Update - Sept. 1, 2020
- Hours for indoor study spaces have been updated within the article with many indoor spaces open until 10 p.m.
Updates - Aug. 24, 2020
- The Virginia Tech GIS team has launched a new stand-alone Indoor Study Spaces map that will be updated continuously.
- The team has edited the Outdoor Study and Gathering Spaces with Approximate WiFi Ranges map to just include outdoor spaces.
- Both of these maps are available in the Hokie Ready app by clicking on the Maps icon.
- A new library seating reservation system was announced on Aug. 24.
If your in-person class ends at 9 a.m. and your next online class starts right away, what do you do?
Outdoors: These six sites - Dietrick Plaza, Pedrew-Yates Plaza, Owens Plaza, Lavery Hall Plaza (near Turner Place), Burchard Plaza, and Derring Hall overhang - are all great places to study and gather outdoors. All of these locations have outdoor furniture, lighting, and coverage from the elements. Burchard Plaza, Dietrick Plaza, and the Derring Hall overhang have new power sources to charge your devices.
Wi-Fi: Alongside the existing outdoor Wi-Fi areas, the university is upgrading outdoor Wi-Fi at several locations, including Burchard Hall plaza, Hahn Garden area, Owens Hall courtyard, and the Lavery Hall patio near Turner Place. The map referenced above shows the approximate range at each of the existing and new locations.
Indoors: The rooms listed below are reserved for students who need to study or attend an online course - especially for those who might not be able to get back to their apartment in the time between an in-person and online course. While the rooms will have capacity limits, there are nearly 600 seats available across the 53 rooms, which are dedicated to this academic use. The rooms are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, and hours are subject to change.
Indoor Study Spaces Hours
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- McBryde Hall: 207, 212, 216, 219, 226, 230, 233, 302, 316, 328, 332
- Pamplin Hall: 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1008, 2001, 2002, 2028, 2030, 3001, 3004, 3010, 3028
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Architecture Annex: 7
- Davidson Hall: 201, 301
- Derring Hall: 1076, 1084, 3092
- Goodwin Hall: 145, 155
- Hutcheson Hall: 209
- Lavery Hall: 335
- Major Williams Hall: 434, 532
- Randolph Hall: 110, 116, 121, 206, 206A, 211, 222, 316
- Robeson Hall: 101, 116, 122
- Saunders Hall: 408
- Seitz Hall: 207
- Wallace Hall: 244
- Whittemore Hall: 257, 277
- Williams Hall: 209
Squires Student Center: Monday-Friday: 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday: 10 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Johnston Student Center: Monday-Thursday: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m; Friday: 7 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday: closed; Subway will be operating Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Graduate Life Center: Monday-Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday: Closed, although accessible 24/7 to all graduate students through swipe access.
Additionally, the University Libraries implemented a seat reservation system to give students an opportunity to reserve their study spot before coming to the library. Students can book their study time and seat online for Newman Library, the Art and Architecture Library, Veterinary Medicine Library, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Library, and the Northern Virginia Center Library.