Greetings fellow students of Virginia Tech!

I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself to you, share a little bit about myself, and inform you of some of the goals and projects going on in the Student Government Association (SGA) as of this spring semester.

My name is Miles Taylor Guth, and I currently have the honor and duty of serving as your SGA President.  I am a sophomore studying Biomedical Sciences as part of the Honors College, and I am from Fairfax, VA. Throughout my life, I have been involved in student leadership as well as music and athletics, and I earned my Eagle Scout accomplishment in my freshman year of high school. I have been serving in SGA for the past two years and held four leadership positions within the organization up to this point. I am a very outgoing, passionate, focused, and seasoned leader with a personal mission to put the needs of others ahead of my own.  As the spring semester really kicks into gear, I thought it would be important for me to reach out to the undergraduate students I represent and explain some of my goals and projects for the semester.

Miles Taylor Guth

Miles poses for a photo
Miles Taylor Guth

Before I talk about my vision for student governance at Virginia Tech, I want to mention a key event coming up that is critical to students. The Board of Visitors will be meeting on March 8th to discuss the plan for tuition and fees for the 2021-22 academic year. They are proposing an increase in both, and we need to hear the student voice! Please take a look at the proposed plan and fill out the following survey. I will speak to the Board at the March 8th meeting and use your responses to represent the undergraduate student body.

SGA is meant to be an organization of servant leaders. It is our mission as representatives to showcase the beliefs and positions of the undergraduate student body to the university administration. As your new president, my team and I have five major goals we hope to accomplish as we move forward to a new future of student governance:

1. Forge an ever-present connection between SGA and the students we represent
  2. Partner/Connect with cultural organizations on campus to ensure our membership reflects the representation of the student body
  3. Bring a high level of transparency to the organization and foster trust from the university community
  4. Put capable leaders in positions within the university governance system and ensure students are being represented at every opportunity possible
  5. Safeguard student rights and opinions with university leadership and ensure we are a part of the conversation

In order to help us more effectively accomplish these goals, we have set out to reconstruct student governance and form a new body of leaders who will serve as the sole voice to represent the undergraduate community, the Undergraduate Student Senate (USS). As this semester continues, a 12-person transition team, which includes the SGA Vice-President, the SGA Secretary, and myself, will work closely with the university administration to create the governing documents and formulate the details for the workings of the USS. For those who are interested in representing your fellow students, we will hold elections for USS positions in October 2021. I sincerely hope that you will consider joining up and working with your fellow student leaders to help make Virginia Tech a better place for all students who call it home! Come set sail with us on the USS Virginia Tech! 

Sincerely and respectfully,

Miles Taylor Guth

Biological Sciences | Class of 2023

Student Body President

milestguth23@vt.edu | 571-328-9902