The fourth quarter of a football game is often game changing. I’ve seen a sure win slip out of a careless team’s hand — and I’ve watched a carefully orchestrated comeback by players with a never-quit mindset. I doubt I’ll forget when my alma mater, Ohio State, scored 23 fourth-quarter points over Minnesota for one of the largest comebacks in history. Maybe this really is good advice — never count your chickens before they hatch!

It looks to me like we’re in the fourth quarter of this pandemic, and candidly, I couldn’t be prouder of Virginia Tech students. The examples of putting others first, sacrificing for the common good, and modeling kindness abound. In this final quarter, I believe a little more focus and commitment are all we’ll need, and before we know it, we’ll be in the metaphorical locker room, celebrating that we’ve accomplished something remarkable — together.

Even though there’s still much to do and people to protect, let’s also not miss that there is so much trending in the right direction. Positive cases are declining, the vaccine is being distributed rapidly, and with good fortune and hard work, perhaps we’ll even have some in-person experiences in time for graduation. The fourth quarter is in our hands — and the way the game ends will reveal our character, commitment, and tenacity.

I truly mean it when I say the Hokies have been an outstanding team. Let’s finish this quarter strong by looking out for one another, sacrificing a little longer, and investing in the well-being of others and ourselves. With only 55 days until classes conclude for the semester and a hopeful summer on the horizon, we just might be able to plan a big fall celebration!

With hope and gratitude,

Frank Shushok Jr.
Vice President for Student Affairs  

Tags