Media Visiting Campus
Virginia Tech's main campus is located in Blacksburg, Virginia, with educational facilities in six state regions and around the world.
While Virginia Tech is a public university and much of the main campus is open to visitors, portions of certain buildings and/or other locations are not regularly open to the public.
Other campus locations may be housed in facilities that are located on private land or buildings, or may be in secure research facilities.
We encourage journalists to contact us before visiting so we can help plan your visit to any of our locations.
Media Parking Guidelines when visiting Virginia Tech
Representatives of the news media are required to have a visitor or media parking permit when visiting the Blacksburg campus.
Regional media outlets that cover Virginia Tech on a regular basis are eligible to receive a media permit valid for the current academic year. Request for these media permits should be submitted to the media relations office.
Other members of the media must display a permit or pay a fee to park on campus, from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Friday (unless otherwise noted by a sign).
Reporters, photographers and other members of the media may park in any faculty, staff, visitor, or student parking space if they have a valid visitor parking permit or an annual media permit, and if the space is not restricted by signs.
Members of the media are encouraged to make their parking arrangements before arriving on campus. Visitors to campus may:
- Purchase parking on-demand with the ParkMobile app.
- Purchase a daily permit online.
- Purchase a daily permit in-person at 505 Beamer Way, Blacksburg, VA.
- Purchase parking at a parking meter on campus. Please refer to the Virginia Tech Parking Map for metered area locations.
If you’re a member of the media working on campus and receive a parking citation during your visit, you will be responsible for the payment.
Click here for the Virginia Tech Parking Map.
Media parking questions: Bill Foy, 540-998-0288 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Directions to our Blacksburg campus
- Interactive Blacksburg campus map
- Directions to other locations
- Obtaining a visitor parking permit
- Guest access to wireless internet
Please refer to the university as Virginia Tech in news coverage. Our official name is Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, but using the full name is cumbersome. Thus, "Virginia Tech" (without the word university on the end) is preferable.
- Download the standard version (for news or nonprofit use only)