Dairy Cattle Judging Team takes home third victory for 2009
November 13, 2009
The Virginia Tech Dairy Cattle Judging Team "B" won the collegiate contest at the North American International Livestock Exposition in Louisville, Ky., on Nov. 8. This is Virginia Tech's third straight victory this year.
Members of the “B” team, who train with the rest of the Dairy Cattle Judging Team but typically compete in separate contests, include
- Dana Gochenour from Woodstock, Va., a junior dairy science major;
- Rosemary Liskey from Harrisonburg, Va., a senior dairy science major;
- Caitlin Patrick from Woodbine, Md., a sophomore dairy science major; and
- Parker Welch from Chestertown, Md., a junior dairy science major.
The coaches are Michael Barnes, professor of dairy science, and Katharine Knowlton, associate professor of dairy science, in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
The team placed first overall and second in oral reasons out of 16 collegiate teams. For the breed-specific competitions, it scored first in Holsteins and Guernseys, second in Jerseys, and third in Ayrshires. In addition, Patrick earned high individual overall, first in Guernseys, and second in oral reasons. Gochenour ranked second high individual overall, third in oral reasons, and first in Holsteins.
“We are very excited that both the ‘A’ and ‘B’ teams have returned to Blacksburg with their heads held high,” said Barnes, who has been one of the team’s coaches since 1981. “The dairy, horse, and livestock judging teams at Virginia Tech give our students valuable out-of-classroom experiences that they will take with them when they graduate and enter the agricultural industry.”
The Dairy Cattle Judging Team also ranked first at the North American International Livestock Exposition in 2007. This September, the “A” team won the Intercollegiate Dairy Cattle Judging Contest at the World Dairy Expo in Madison, Wis., and the Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, Mass., as well.
Read related stories:
- University Spotlight on Achievement: "Competition helps students become better decision-makers"
- Virginia Tech News story: “Virginia Tech Dairy Cattle Judging Team wins World Dairy Expo, Eastern States contests"
- Virginia Tech News story: “Dairy Judging Team scores top honors at intercollegiate competition”