Weather Advisory: University to close at 1:15 p.m. Friday, Jan. 25; weekend event updates
January 25, 2013
Due to inclement weather conditions, the Virginia Tech Blacksburg campus will close at 1:15 p.m. today, Friday, Jan. 25. Classes scheduled to begin after 1:15 p.m. will be canceled. All university events scheduled Friday afternoon and evening have been canceled.
At 2 p.m., Blacksburg Transit will operate on half hour schedule. Blacksburg Transit will stop service at 5 p.m. on all routes.
University staff designated "emergency personnel" must report as instructed by their supervisor.
Virginia Tech has declared a snow and ice traffic emergency effective at midnight tonight. This designation goes into effect when road conditions deteriorate to the point where road travel is difficult. This declaration impacts all students, faculty, and staff who park on campus. For specific instructions, please read the campus notice, Campus winter weather traffic and parking emergency procedures, found on the Virginia Tech News website.
Information on Friday, Jan. 25 evening events
- The Center for the Arts at Virginia Tech’s performance by Diane Monroe, “What is This Thing Called Freedom? The Transforming and Timeless Songs of Protest,” at the Lyric Theatre has been canceled. Please contact The Lyric Theatre box office at 540-951-4771 for refunds.
Information on Saturday, Jan. 26 events
The determination as to whether events scheduled for Saturday will be held will be determined by each event sponsor. The following updates have been provided to Virginia Tech News:
- The SAT test scheduled for 8 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 26 will be canceled. The SAT Program will arrange for makeup testing; up-to-date information will be posted on sat.collegeboard.org as it becomes available.
- The Band-A-Rama concert originally scheduled for Friday evening has been moved to Saturday. Jan. 26 at 7:30 p.m. Burruss Auditorium. Admission is free.
- Information on authorized closings and designation of emergency personnel
- Prepare for winter weather now