Search committee for VTCSOM dean announced
From: Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost
The search committee for the new dean of the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine (VTCSOM) has been announced. Cynda Ann Johnson, founding dean of the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, announced in February her plans to retire following more than a decade of leadership and service in the school.
The VTCSOM search committee will be co-chaired by Cyril Clarke, interim executive vice president and provost for Virginia Tech, and Patrice Weiss, executive vice president and chief medical officer (Carilion), and professor of obstetrics and gynecology for VTCSOM.
Members of the search committee are:
- Anthony Baffoe-Bonnie: assistant professor, Internal Medicine (VTCSOM and Carilion Clinic)
- Helena Carvalho: associate professor, Basic Science Education (VTCSOM)
- Nicholas Conte: Board of Directors member (VTCSOM); senior vice president and general counsel (Carilion Clinic)
- Tracey Criss: associate dean for clinical science years 3-4 (VTCSOM); vice president, medical staff affairs and credentialing (Carillon Clinic)
- Tarin Schmidt-Dalton: associate professor, Family and Community Medicine, and associate dean for Clinical Science Years 1-2 (VTCSOM)
- Kimberly Dunsmore: professor and chair, Pediatrics (VTCSOM and Carilion Clinic)
- Mike Friedlander: senior dean for research (VTCSOM); founding executive director, VTCRI; vice president, Health Sciences and Technology (VT)
- Rob Gourdie: professor and director, Center for Heart and Regenerative Medicine (VTCRI); professor, Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics (VT)
- Lauren Harris: medical education manager for research and chair of employee engagement committee (VTCSOM)
- Kathy Hosig: associate professor, Population Health Sciences; director, Center for Public Health Practice and Research (VT)
- Matt Hulver: associate professor, Basic Science Education (VTCSOM); associate professor and department head, Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise (VT)
- Sally Morton: dean, College of Science (VT)
- Joseph Moskal: professor and chair, Orthopedics (VTCSOM and Carilion Clinic)
- Kurtis Moyer: associate professor, Surgery (VTCSOM); chief, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (Carilion Clinic); adjunct faculty, Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics (VT)
- Karen Roberto: university distinguished professor, Department of Human Development and Family Science; director, Institute for Society, Culture, and Environment (VT)
- Karen Eley Sanders: chief diversity officer (VTCSOM), associate vice provost for College Access (VT)
- Bob Trestman: professor and chair, Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine (VTCSOM and Carilion Clinic)
Executive search firm Isaacson, Miller has been engaged to partner with the university in conducting this search, with recruitment beginning in May. To apply, submit a nomination or inquire about the search, visit www.imsearch.com/6583.
The VTCSOM will be officially integrated into Virginia Tech July 1 as the university’s ninth college. Carilion Clinic will remain an integral partner through support in ways such as providing faculty and the clinical facilities for students to train.