2019-2020 Town-Gown meetings to continue strengthening partnership between university and town
From: Student Affairs
Virginia Tech’s town-gown relations have consistently been ranked among the top in the nation, due in part to the continued excellence of the town-gown committee made up of Virginia Tech and Town of Blacksburg representatives.
Co-chaired by Interim Vice President for Student Affairs Frank Shushok and Blacksburg Deputy Town Manager Steven Ross, the town-gown team holds six forums each year on issues that generate conversation across campus and throughout Blacksburg. Student voices are a key part of the meetings, with members of the Virginia Tech Student Life Council taking an active role in the discussions. Students, faculty, staff, and town residents are invited to attend.
The 2019-2020 Blacksburg/Virginia Tech Town-Gown meetings take place Thursdays, 6-7:30 p.m. in Ambler Johnston Hall Great Room (second floor) on the Virginia Tech campus.
Mental health and wellbeing: It takes a village
- Chris Wise, assistance vice president of Student Affairs, Virginia Tech
- Anthony Wilson, chief of police, Blacksburg Police Department
- Melanie Adkins, New River Valley Community Services
- Christian Shushok, senior, Blacksburg High School, mental health awareness advocate
Love where you live: Experiencing the great outdoors around Blacksburg
- Dean Crane, director of parks and recreation, Town of Blacksburg
- Lisa Bleakley, director of tourism, Montgomery County
A community conversation: Childcare in our community
- Ana Agud, wellness coordinator, Human Resources, Virginia Tech
- Lisa Wilkes, vice president for business affairs, Virginia Tech
- Kristi Snyder, Owner, Rainbow Riders Daycare
- Kerri Edwards, Owner, Children’s Nest Daycare