The Division of Student Affairs celebrates the Aspire! Awards five times each academic year by recognizing individuals who embody Virginia Tech’s Aspirations for Student Learning. The nomination process is open for the 2017-18 year.
Students are encouraged to develop habits of interpersonal awareness, intentional action, and self-reflection through the five Aspirations:
- Commit to unwavering curiosity
- Pursue self-understanding and integrity
- Practice civility
- Prepare for a life of courageous leadership, and
- Embrace Virginia Tech’s motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), as a way of life
“We are delighted to make these awards available to students, faculty, staff, and alumni,” said Vice President for Student Affairs Patty Perillo. “Our Aspirations are about growing as a person, gaining a deeper learning through reflection, and a richer understanding of yourself, your values, and your purpose. The Aspire! Awards recognize amazing individuals who lean into and live life in this way.”
The Aspire! Awards recognize students, faculty and staff, and, once a year, alumni who exemplify the division’s Aspirations for Student Learning. Five students, one representing each Aspiration, and one faculty/staff member representing the featured Aspiration will be honored at each breakfast in the months of October, December, February, March, and April.
- Deadline is September 29 for the October 27, 2017 breakfast featuring Curiosity
- Deadline is November 3 for the December 1, 2017 breakfast featuring Self-Understanding and Integrity
- Deadline is January 26 for the February 23, 2018 breakfast featuring Civility
- Deadline is February 23 for the March 23, 2018 breakfast featuring Courageous Leadership
- Deadline is March 30 for the April 27, 2018 breakfast featuring Ut Prosim
Once a nomination is received, Aspiration committees will review each submission and choose the individuals they believe best represent the essence of each Aspiration.
Visit the Aspire! Awards website for more information and to learn more about former recipients of these awards.