From: Global Education Office
When preparing for international travel, consider the following global safety tips:
1. Never go abroad without enrolling in Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for duration of trip (including dependents).
2. Register trip in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
3. While in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), subscribe to receive “Travel Alerts & Warnings” for surrounding countries.
4. Ensure passport is valid at least six months after projected return date from trip.
5. Keep open communication with Virginia Tech (cell, email, text, etc.) – check daily.
6. Obtain/update recommended immunizations early enough before departure to take effect.
7. Conduct due diligence by researching destination(s).
8. Check-in with Virginia Tech to confirm your safety after an incident near your destination (a simple “I’m okay” to firstname.lastname@example.org will suffice).
9. Program Virginia Tech and AXA Assistance emergency contacts in your phone and/or keep on your person.
10. Tell your bank, credit card company, and doctor you are going abroad.