Alternative Transportation hosts new Virginia Tech Commute Challenge in October
From: Alternative Transportation Department
For the month of October, the Alternative Transportation Department is launching the Virginia Tech Commute Challenge, a new initiative to get more of the campus community engaged in alternative transportation. Prizes like Heads Up Hokies swag and gift cards from local businesses make the challenge even more exciting.
The month-long event encourages people to bike, walk, carpool, take transit, or telework instead of driving alone for trips and commutes. Whether you’d like to be more sustainable in your daily life or are just looking to get more active, this challenge is perfect for you.
Every trip or telework day recorded in the RIDE Solutions platform will earn participants points they can use to redeem rewards in the app.
How to participate and Commute Challenge details:
- Create a RIDE Solutions account: Students, employees, and community members can participate by registering/logging into their RIDE Solutions account. Participants can download the RIDE Solutions app or visit the RIDE Solutions website to create an account and log in (for set-up details below).
- Within your account page, select the "Record a Trip" button.
- Anyone who logs a trip (teleworking counts) will be entered into a weekly prize pack drawing for Heads Up Hokies and RIDE Solutions swag. There will be five drawings during the month.
- Each week, Alternative Transportation will offer drawings for employees, students, and for those who logged a trip via a particular mode of transportation (biking, walking, carpooling/vanpooling, taking transit, and teleworking).
- Participants will have to log at least one trip during each specific week to be entered for that week’s drawing.
- Participants can also redeem points within the platform for prizes like gift cards, discounted food, and more.
- Contest dates: Oct. 1-31, 2020.
At the end of the event, Alternative Transportation will update participants with the final statistics and acknowledge the participants who recorded the most trips during the month of October. Weekly updates will be provided to participants.
Through the RIDE Solutions platform, Alternative Transportation will be able to access unique statistics such as fewer miles driven, money saved, gas saved, calories burned, and emissions prevented.
How to set up a free RIDE Solutions profile:
- Visit the RIDE Solutions website and click ‘JOIN’ or ‘SIGN IN’ at the top right corner of the page.
- Once taken to your new (or existing) profile, look under ‘Messages’ and click ‘Getting Started.’
- You will first click ‘Complete your profile.’
- You will be prompted to fill in general information about yourself, as well as information about your organization, your commute, and carpooling preferences.
- Please try to enter information as accurately as possible to ensure final statistics are also accurate.
- Make sure you include your full name and select Virginia Tech as your organization so Alternative Transportation can keep track of who is participating and make sure everyone is entered into the drawings.
- You will not be able to record your first trip until you complete your profile.
For more information or any questions, please contact Alternative Transportation by emailing email@example.com or calling 540-231-2116.
- Virginia Tech cited as one of the best workplaces for commuters
- Wide range of alternative commuting options available for the Virginia Tech community