Updates: Package delivery delays on campus
August 20, 2020
Package delivery updates
Sept. 2, 4:30 p.m.
Since Sunday, Aug. 30, over 5,000 packages have been processed by Mail Services and picked up by students. The department is working through approximately 2,000 more packages that will be processed and readied for pickup by students over the next few days.
- USPS: USPS mail and packages continue to be processed and distributed on campus promptly without significant delays;
- Amazon packages: Across the entire region, including Virginia Tech, Amazon package deliveries continue to be significantly delayed;
- Pick up packages promptly: Students should continue to retrieve packages as soon as they can upon receiving their ready email to accommodate the influx of new packages arriving each day.
War Memorial Hall and Owens Mail Center hours this week (subject to change – hours will be updated on the Mail Services homepage)
To assist students, the War Memorial and Owens Hall package pickup centers will be fully staffed and open the following days and hours this week.
War Memorial Hours:
- Thursday, Sept. 3 – 8 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
- Friday, Sept. 4 – 8 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 5 – 8 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
- Sunday, Sept. 6 – Closed
- Monday, Sept. 7 (Labor Day) – Closed
Owens Mail Hours:
- Thursday, Sept. 3 – 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Friday, Sept. 4 – 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 5 – Closed
- Sunday, Sept. 6 – Closed
- Monday, Sept. 7 (Labor Day) – Closed
The Mail team continues to adapt its operations to best serve the student community and thanks students for their patience.
Aug. 30, 2 p.m.
Students will continue to receive emails when their packages are ready to be picked up at War Memorial Hall. War Memorial will be open every day from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (including today, Sunday, Aug. 30).
Please bring a dolly or cart if you are expecting a large package or multiple packages. There will be a limited number of dollies available to check out. Only the student recipient may enter to pick up packages.
Thank you to all students for retrieving packages promptly and following public health guidelines by physical distancing and wearing face coverings.
Aug. 29, 6 p.m.
The Mail Services team has worked throughout the weekend to set up its temporary large-scale package retrieval location and supporting infrastructure in War Memorial Hall. Package pickup will begin in War Memorial Hall (rear gym - entrance sign will be marked), tomorrow, Sunday, Aug. 30. Students will begin receiving emails that their packages are ready to be retrieved at this location starting Sunday, Aug. 30. Students should wait to receive the email before visiting War Memorial.
Mail Services continues to work with its vendor throughout the weekend to resolve system IT issues at the Package PickUPP lockers.
Mail Services thanks the campus community for their continued patience and shares its gratitude for all of its hardworking employees who have worked diligently throughout the weekend to serve the university community.
Aug. 28, 2:30 p.m.
Packages continue to arrive today at the Graduate Life Center and Owens Mail Facility. Thank you to all those students who have received emails to pick up their packages and have retrieved them promptly.
Mail Services is currently working to transition packages from its South Main Street facility to War Memorial Hall on campus. As soon as the transition and associated infrastructure are in place, students will begin receiving email notifications that their packages are ready to be picked up at War Memorial. This could be soon as this weekend (Aug. 28-30).
Thank you for your continued patience.
Aug. 28, 10 a.m.
Due to ongoing national shipping delays, the extensive volume of packages arriving on campus, and vendor system issues impacting Mail Services’ package delivery infrastructure, residential students may continue to experience package delivery delays.
Mail Services shares students’ frustration and remains dedicated to ensuring packages are delivered as quickly and efficiently as possible. The department’s IT vendor is on campus, working around-the-clock to resolve the technical issues.
Next steps – students expecting a package:
Wait for the email denoting that a package is ready for pickup. The email will list the specific location to pick up the package and directions for retrieving. These locations include:
- Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown (GLC) – first floor: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. (beginning Monday Aug. 31, the GLC location will switch to War Memorial);
- Owens Hall 23: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.; or
- War Memorial – (entrance will be marked by signage) – Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Students are asked to retrieve packages within 24 hours.
The latest updates around delivery service will be shared as they are available on the Mail Services homepage at https://mailservices.vt.edu and via Campus Notice in VT News.
High priority packages, such as medications, will continue to be given precedence. These packages will be picked up in Owens Hall 23 after a student receives the ready email.
Mail Services sincerely appreciates the campus community’s patience through these delays.
From: Mail Services
With Virginia Tech Package PickUPP, residential students will now retrieve packages at convenient intelligent locker locations across campus. Scroll down for directions on how to retrieve your packages and for helpful information from Mail Services.
Video - How to Use Package PickUPP Lockers:
Instructions to Retrieve a Package on the Blacksburg Campus:
1. On-campus residents will receive an email from Virginia Tech Package PickUPP (text alerts will be announced in the future) alerting of a package that has arrived for them on campus that will be ready to be picked up the next business day.
2. Included in the email are directions for picking up the package at one of the centrally-located on-campus Package PickUPP locker sets and locations. In most instances, the student will retrieve their package at the locker set closest to their residence hall. Along with the pickup location, the email will also include the kiosk number (the screen to visit) at the lockers.
Package PickUPP locations (24/7 access)
- MAC PickUPP (Moss Arts Center)
- Newman Hall PickUPP
- Dietrick Hall PickUPP
- Oak Lane PickUPP
Additional locations packages may be retrieved from:
- Owens Hall PickUPP: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- GLC PickUPP (Graduate Life Center): Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
3. Please pick up packages within 24 hours.
USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL packages will flow primarily to the on-campus locker system. Packages will not be left at the resident's room as they previously had been with UPS, FedEX, and DHL.