Residential mail center remains open: How to forward packages
April 2, 2020
From: Virginia Tech Mail Services
In response to the evolving COVID-19 emergency and the university’s transition to essential operating status, Mail Services will scale down its operations effective Monday, April 6, 2020.
The safety and well-being of Mail Services employees and university community members remains the department’s top priority. Mail Services will continue to manage the distribution of all incoming mail and packages and will ensure mail and packages are delivered to academic, research, and administrative units, along with residential students and employees, in a safe and timely manner.
Please refer to the adjustments below to on-campus mail delivery effective April 6.
- All incoming mail and packages (USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL) will be received and sorted by Mail Services and stored at the South Main Street, Blacksburg mail operations facility before being distributed by Mail Services.
- Departmental mail and package delivery will be made to office and department locations a maximum of two times each week. Deliveries will be made to the primary office location currently used by Mail Services, regardless of whether the office is open or closed.
- Perishables, medications, and the like, will be delivered on a daily basis.
- Effective April 3, 2020, departmental mail and package pickup at the South Main Street mail operations facility will be discontinued. No mail or packages will be held at the facility.
- Departmental mail special delivery requests are unable to be accommodated.
- Departmental staff will be responsible for retrieval of mail and packages delivered to their unit.
- Outgoing departmental mail will be picked up from offices on delivery days or may be dropped off for processing at the front of the South Main Street mail operations facility.
- UPS and FedEx will continue to deliver daily to Schiffert Health Center and the VetMed complex.
- Hazardous lab and research materials should be mailed to the Environmental Health and Safety Hazardous Materials Lab for further delivery and/or retrieval.
Residential Mail (Students)
- The Owens Hall Residential Mail Center will remain open (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.) for students that have been approved to stay on campus and for employees residing on campus. Student packages normally delivered to residence halls by UPS or FedEx must now be retrieved in Owens Hall.
- For students who have departed campus, all USPS first-class mail and packages will be forwarded at the student’s request. Addresses must be updated in HokieSpa for mail to be forwarded.
- For packages delivered to residence halls by UPS, FedEx, and DHL during and after the initial campus opening delay, Mail Services will forward these packages to the student’s permanent address on file in HokieSpa.
For questions, please contact Mail Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-4085.