New VT Alerts option available for Hokie family members, campus visitors, vendors, and contractors
July 11, 2019
From: Virginia Tech Emergency Management
Virginia Tech Emergency Management recently released a series of new VT Alerts options specifically for Hokie family members, friends and loved ones, visitors, and on-campus vendors and contractors to stay informed during potential emergencies on the Blacksburg campus via text message.
When a situation arises in which the university determines that immediate action is required, a campus-wide VT Alert is issued. VT Alerts allow students, faculty, staff, family members, visitors, and vendors and contractors who subscribe to the system to receive urgent notifications during emergency situations.
VT Alerts — Hokie parents, family members, and friends
Even if you aren’t with your Hokie in Blacksburg, you can still stay in touch with the Virginia Tech community through VT Alerts.
To sign up for text messages, text HokieFam to 226787 to be added. You will receive a text message confirming your subscription. The alerts will be active for one year. For more information, click here.
VT Alerts — Virginia Tech vendors and contractors
Those doing business on the Virginia Tech Blacksburg campus can subscribe to receive text alerts from the VT Alerts system to stay informed.
To sign up for text messages, text HokieFam to 226787 to be added. You will receive a text message confirming your subscription. For more information, click here.
VT Alerts — Visitors to the Virginia Tech campus
All visitors to the Virginia Tech Blacksburg campus can subscribe to receive VT Alerts to stay informed. The alerts will be active for 7 days. All users who subscribe will receive a message to opt-in at the end of the 7-day period.
To sign up for text messages, text HokieVisit to 67283. You will receive a text message confirming your subscription. For more information, click here.
VT Phone Alerts — Students and employees
In addition to the VT Phone Alerts listed above, VT Alerts are also shared via:
- VT Alerts Twitter
- Broadcast emails to all vt.edu accounts
- Desktop alerts
- Electronic message boards in classrooms and common spaces
- The weather/emergency hotline, 540-231-6668
- Official messages during emergencies and other incidents will come from Virginia Tech Twitter and Facebook, VTPD Twitter and Facebook, Emergency Management Twitter and Facebook.
Additionally, all students, faculty, staff, visitors, family members, vendors, and contractors are encouraged to sign up for the LiveSafe app. LiveSafe features include:
- Access emergency information: Have fast access to important campus support resources and emergency procedures.
- Share information: Users can submit reports of suspicious activity, in-person or online harassment, or an on-campus disturbance with picture, video, or audio attachments.
- Have peace-of-mind with SafeWalk: Individuals invite others to “virtually escort” and monitor their location on a real-time map.
- Navigate the Blacksburg campus: Users can refer to a full Virginia Tech building list for directions to-and-from all campus buildings.