Residential Mail Services now offers on-demand pickup for USPS packages and letters
August 21, 2019
From: Virginia Tech Residential Mail Services
Receiving USPS packages and letters at Virginia Tech is now more convenient than ever.
Beginning fall semester 2019, Virginia Tech Mail Services now offers on-demand USPS package and letter pick-up on campus for residential students. Please refer below for the new process for receiving USPS mail and packages.
Receiving USPS Mail and Packages
- Once USPS mail and packages have arrived and been processed, Mail Services will send an email to your vt.edu email account notifying you of the arrival of your mail and USPS packages.
- Note: If the USPS website tracking notes "package status delivered" or "delivered to Agent," this means that your package has been scanned by the local Post Office and it is on its way or will be on its way to Mail Services usually within one business day.
- Visit to Owens Hall, Room 23 anytime Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. until 7 p.m.
- You must have a photo ID to pick up packages at Owens Hall, Room 23. If the name of the package does not match the ID, the package will be returned to the sender.
- USPS mail and packages are delivered Monday through Friday.
- After 30 days, packages that are not picked up will be returned to the sender. Three email notifications will be sent to the student’s VT email account before returning to sender.
- Holiday Inn Express and the Inn at Virginia Tech: The process above applies to students living at these locations.
Oak Lane: Students residing at Oak Lane will receive an email to retrieve their USPS letters and packages from the intelligent lockers located next to the Oak Lane parking lot.
Sending USPS Mail and Packages to a Campus Resident
Please refer to the address tips and information below.
Student’s full name
Residential hall name, Rm XXXX
Street number and street address
Blacksburg, VA 24061-(+ four codes are specific to building)
The student’s address should not have “Virginia Tech” included. This actually slows down the delivery.
If the student’s full name is not included in the address, the mail or package will be returned to the sender. Click here for a full address listing for residence hall mailing addresses.
Students Mailing Stamped Envelopes and Prepaid Packages
For students needing to mail a stamped envelope or prepaid package, stamped and prepaid items can be dropped off at Owens Hall room 23 by 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Receiving UPS and FedEx Packages
If your package is coming through UPS or FedEx, it will be delivered directly to your residence hall room.
Change of Address
The university maintains several different addresses for residence hall students: local, permanent, and guardian. These addresses come from the admissions application. The Division of Student Affairs updates and maintains the local (residence hall) address for residence hall students. It is the responsibility of each residence hall student to update and/or change his or her address (except for residence hall addresses) through Hokie SPA as soon as possible after the new address is available.