From: Facilities Department

Virginia Tech has owned and operated a limestone quarry in Blacksburg since 1869. The 40-acre facility produces 80 percent of the stone used in campus construction; the other 20 percent, brought in to provide color variation, comes from a farm in Montgomery County.

The quarry employs about 15 masons, each of whom can shape about a ton of stone per day–enough to cover about 35 square feet of a building.

The team produces somewhere between 25 and 50 tons each week year-round, which equals roughly 2,500 tons annually. A typical campus building uses some 1,500 tons of stone.

Visit the website for more information and to view a related video.