Hokie Wellness employee flu shot clinics begin Sept. 29
From: Hokie Wellness
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and because of the COVID-19 pandemic, reducing the spread of respiratory illnesses, like flu, this fall and winter is more important than ever. A flu vaccine can help protect yourself, your family, and your community and help reduce pressure on our healthcare system. The CDC recommends getting a flu vaccination in September or October.
Hokie Wellness flu shot clinics:
Hokie Wellness will offer flu shot clinics for employees beginning Sept. 29. All clinics will be from 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. In order to maintain safety and ensure physical distancing:
- Blacksburg campus clinics will be held at two locations this year on the following days:
- North End Center, Room 2420, 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.: Sept. 29 and Oct. 1, 6, 23, 29
- Steger Hall, conference center foyer, 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.: Oct. 14, 21, 28
- Roanoke campus clinics will be held in Room M-106 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sept. 30 and Oct. 27.
All employees must schedule an appointment for their flu shot. Individuals without an appointment will not be admitted to the clinic. Please note the following:
- Faculty and staff must bring their current insurance card to receive a free flu shot or pay a $25 fee by cash or check.
- Flu shots are free for non-student wage employees. Non-student wage employees must bring their Hokie Passport to the clinic.
- Masks and physical distancing will be required at all clinics.
- It is recommended that employees complete the vaccine consent form and bring it with them the day of their appointment.
- Please do not arrive more than 5 minutes before your scheduled flu shot appointment.
To schedule an appointment, visit training.vt.edu, click on Coursewhere, complete 2-factor authentication, then “Search by Alpha” to select the clinic and register for an open appointment. You will receive a confirmation by email. Please be on time for your appointment. Late arrivals may have to reschedule their flu shot.
NOTE: In order to minimize visitors to Virginia Tech campuses, flu clinics will only be open to employees. See below for information on how to get a flu shot for dependents covered by university health care plans.
Hokie Wellness drive thru flu shot clinic:
To provide a way for employees to get flu shots for dependents, Hokie Wellness will hold a drive thru flu clinic on Saturday, Oct. 24 from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. at the North End Center garage. The clinic will be open to employees and dependents who are covered by a university health care plan.
Flu shots will be given at the drive thru clinic first-come, first-serve. Registration is not required. Please bring a current insurance card. Masks will be required. Employees and dependents will stay in their car throughout the clinic. The clinic entrance will be set up on Turner Street. After receiving shots, attendees will exit the garage at Gilbert Street.
Other ways to get a flu vaccine:
Vaccinations are also available at most local pharmacies and through health care providers. State health plan members may get a free flu vaccine at pharmacies participating in their health plan’s network.
- COVA Care, COVA HDHP, and COVA HealthAware members also may receive shots at no cost from network physicians’ offices and other participating providers.
- Kaiser Permanente HMO members must go to a participating Kaiser medical center.
- Optima Health members will receive flu shots at no cost from network participating pharmacies. To find participating pharmacies, call the number on the back of your ID card.
See this page for more information from the Virginia Department of Human Resource Management. It is recommended that you call ahead to confirm that a pharmacy is participating in the program and that shots are available. An appointment may be required.
- About Hokie Wellness flu clinics, contact Hokie Wellness at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- About flu vaccines and your medical plan, contact your plan provider.
NOTE: Student flu shot clinics will be held on Oct. 7, 2020 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Visit this page for more information.