Accepting nominations for staff and administrative and professional faculty awards
Each year, Virginia Tech offers multiple award programs to recognize employees for their commitment to the university and community, their new ideas, and teamwork.
Nominations are now being accepted for three of these awards – the President’s Award for Excellence, the Staff Career Achievement Award, and the McComas Staff Leadership Award. All nominations for these awards are due Tuesday, Feb. 11 at 5 p.m. and must be submitted electronically.
See below for more information and nomination guidelines on each award.
President’s Award for Excellence: This award was established in 1990 by President James McComas to recognize the outstanding contributions and consistently excellent performance of salaried classified and university staff employees, as well as certain administrative and professional faculty. The award is sponsored by the Office of the President and the Division of Human Resources.
- Any employee may nominate another eligible employee for this award based on the established nomination guidelines. Note, self-nominations are not accepted.
- Award winners will receive a letter of commendation from the president, a framed certificate and a $2,000 pre-tax award.
McComas Staff Leadership Award: Sponsored by the Division of Human Resources and the Commission for Staff Policies and Affairs, this award recognizes non-student wage and classified staff employees who regularly demonstrate the behaviors of a strong leader in support of the goals of the university, college, senior management area, or department.
- All employees in classified or university staff and non-student hourly wage positions that work in any Virginia Tech location are eligible. Employees must have worked for the university for at least one year.
- Nominees do not need to be in a management or supervisory position.
- Nominations must be submitted online.
- Award winners will receive a $500 pre-tax award, a framed certificate, and will be recognized at the annual McComas Staff Leadership Seminar.
Staff Career Achievement Award: This award recognizes the contributions of retiring staff members who retired the previous year and who distinguished themselves through exemplary performance and service during their career.
- Full-time university or classified staff who served a minimum of 10 years at Virginia Tech, retired the previous year, and had a history of outstanding performance are eligible to be nominated.
- The nomination form must be submitted by a dean or vice president and all required documents must be submitted electronically.
- Award winners will receive a $1,000 pre-tax award and will be recognized at the annual Faculty/Staff Awards Dinner.
The Feb. 11 deadline for these awards will be here before you know it, so be sure to get your nomination in soon.