Update: Governor's message on financial health and wellness in the New Year
From: Human Resources
As mentioned in Gov. Northam’s memo to state employees dated January 6, 2020, employees participating in health insurance plans through the Commonwealth of Virginia can receive a reduction in their monthly premiums. The monthly premium will be reduced by $17 for an employee, non-Medicare retiree group participant, or covered spouse through June 30, 2020 after completion of a health assessment. When both the participant and the spouse participate, there’s a total savings of $34 per month. If you are not participating in premium rewards for the current plan year, visit your insurance provider’s website: COVA Care (www.anthem.com) or COVA HealthAware (www.covahealthaware.com). Please note My Active Health is no longer the vendor for premium rewards. Premium rewards generally take six to eight weeks to process.
Commonwealth of Virginia
Office of Governor Ralph Northam
January 6, 2020
Dear State Employees:
We’ve just entered not only a New Year but also a new decade. Change is never easy, either in the workplace or at home. As you consider your personal resolutions for the year 2020, think about putting your financial health and wellness at the top of the list.
I am excited to announce a new initiative designed to assist you in making important financial decisions and taking better care of yourself during the New Year and beyond.
The Department of Human Resource Management (DHRM) has partnered with the Virginia Credit Union to provide a financial wellness program for all state employees. The program would:
- Offer financial education and planning tips
- Help employees reduce stress and anxiety about financial issues
- Offer monthly seminars regionally across the Commonwealth and webinars on the COVA Learning Center to address budgeting, credit reports, debt, loans, mortgages and other financial information
- Enable employees to earn credits when completing webinars
More information will be provided soon.
Employees have other excellent resources for financial health and wellbeing, whether it is the ability to save on monthly state health plan premiums, access financial counseling, or receive discounts on special events and services throughout the year.
- Premium Rewards: Employees and their spouses covered in COVA Care or COVA HealthAware state plans can save on monthly premiums by taking a health assessment. An employee or spouse can earn a premium reward of $17 per month, and if both participate, the reward is doubled to $34 per month. Visit the appropriate plan website to take the health assessment. The premium reward takes effect within six to eight weeks.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Counseling is available under all state health plans for financial and career planning, retirement, elder and child care, grief, workplace issues and other challenges. See the full list of services.
- Employee Discounts: DHRM administers discounts for all state employees, including special offers for financial services, from banks to tax services and lending organizations. View a complete list of financial services.
I hope that you will take advantage of the many options the Commonwealth provides to assist employees with financial well being and education.