COVID-19 vaccine update for employees: Week of Feb. 15
From: Human Resources
Please see the following COVID-19 vaccine updates:
Vaccine registration in Virginia:
This week, the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) launched a new statewide pre-registration system to provide a unified and comprehensive process for people in Virginia to pre-register for the COVID-19 vaccine.
All local health districts closed other pre-registration surveys on Friday, Feb. 12 at 5 p.m. and are now redirecting to this new system.
NOTE: All individuals who have previously filled out a survey or form or signed up for a waitlist to be vaccinated through their local health district will be automatically imported into the new statewide system. Individuals will maintain their current status in the queue. Individuals can check the statewide system for your registration information.
Vaccine distribution and availability:
The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) continues to lead vaccine distribution across our state. For the Blacksburg campus and surrounding area, the New River Health District (NRHD) is managing the vaccine distribution, as are other local health districts where Virginia Tech has locations.
- Frontline essential workers.
- People aged 65 years and older.
- People aged 16 through 64 years with a high-risk medical condition or disability that increases their risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
In some health districts, people aged 16 through 64 are beginning to receive the vaccine. Please continue to be patient as health authorities work through the vaccination process.
As a reminder, Virginia Tech is continuing to work with the NRHD and local health districts across the state to register our group 1b frontline essential workers for vaccines. If you have questions about your role with the university and which vaccine group you fall into, please speak with your supervisor or HR representative.
Aged 65 and up or aged 16 to 64 with an underlying health condition:
If you fall into the 65 and up age group or are an individual aged 16 to 64 with an underlying health condition, you should register yourself for the vaccine.
- Complete and submit your information through the new statewide system. In the New River Valley, you can access the form at www.nrvroadtowellness.com. After registering, you will need to wait for a call from NRHD to schedule your vaccine appointment.
- In other parts of Virginia, visit your local health district website to complete and submit your information through the new statewide system
- In some locations, pharmacies are partnering with health districts as vaccination sites. Individuals may contact their local pharmacies or health districts for more information and instructions.
Vaccines for other Virginia Tech employees and students:
After vaccines for group 1b are completed, the VDH will move to group 1c, which faculty and staff in higher education institutions have been identified by VDH as being part of this group. In addition to full-time faculty and staff, non-student wage, and student wage and graduate assistants who work for the university in some capacity will be included in group 1c, unless specifically excluded by the VDH.
All other students, unless they qualify for priority groups 1b or 1c, will be vaccinated as part of the general population.
Virginia Tech will communicate information about group 1c vaccinations once we know more.
Follow good health guidelines:
In the meantime, every member of our community is reminded to stay vigilant and follow good health guidelines:
- Avoid Close contact situations. Maintain distance from other people.
- Avoid Crowds. Being in a large crowd will increase the chance that you will be around someone infected with the virus and that the virus will spread to others.
- Avoid Closed, poorly ventilated spaces.
- Wear Masks.
Even once an individual receives a vaccine, they should continue following these guidelines for the safety of our community until restrictions can be lifted.