Mail Services updates: Departmental and student mail
March 19, 2020
From: Virginia Tech Mail Services
Virginia Tech Mail Services is committed to serving the university community. Please review the information below for updates to departmental and residential mail service.
Questions may be directed to 540-231-4085 or email@example.com.
Departmental mail will continue to run; please email firstname.lastname@example.org to report any schedule changes for your department.
- Beginning March 23, all incoming mail and packages (USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL) will be received and sorted by the Departmental Mail department and held inside its 1425 South Main Street mail operations facility in Blacksburg.
- Departmental mail and package delivery will be made to departments 3 days a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), unless otherwise requested by a department.
- If a department’s offices are closed and its employees are telecommuting, arrangements should be made to pick up the department’s mail and packages at 1425 South Main Street.
- Outgoing departmental mail will be picked up on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, or may be dropped off for processing at 1425 South Main Street.
- Key department staff may pick up mail and parcels at 1425 South Main Street (must show identification/Hokie Passport), Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Mail Services - Residential mail
- Owens Hall Residential Mail Center will remain open to students Monday – Friday, from 8 a.m. – 7 p.m., for USPS first-class mail and package retrieval during move-out and for those students that have been approved to stay on-campus. Student usage will be monitored and the pick-up counter hours may be adjusted based on volume.
- For students moving out, please pick up mail and packages at the Residential Mail Center inside Owens Hall, Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Counter hours will be extended to Saturday, March 21, and Sunday, March 22, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to help ensure pickup needs are met.
- For students who have departed campus, all USPS first-class mail and packages may be forwarded at the student’s request. To request this service, update your mailing address in HokieSpa (select Personal Information). If your address is not up-to-date, the mail will be returned to the sender. Unfortunately, mail cannot be forwarded to international addresses.
- For USPS mail or packages already in transit, please update your mailing address in HokieSpa. It must contain a date that is within the past year to follow USPS Guidelines or they will not forward. If your address is not up-to-date, then the package will be returned to the sender. Unfortunately, mail cannot be forwarded to international addresses.
- Beginning March 23, Virginia Tech Mail Services will be handling all campus incoming mail and packages (including USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL). Student packages normally delivered to residence halls must now be retrieved at the Owens Mail Center.
For further questions, please contact Mail Services at email@example.com or 540-231-4085.