From: Office of Scholarly Integrity and Research Compliance

Policy 13010: Individual Conflicts of Interest and Commitment requires university employees to disclose and obtain approval for certain external activities and interests. Such activities involve personal gain, financial or otherwise. Examples include, but are not limited to: consulting, outside/additional employment, income from royalties outside of VTIP, equity ownership, service as a scientific advisor advisory boards or boards of directors, business ownership, gifts, support including in-kind from foreign governments or foreign entities, or participation as a company officer.  

Disclosures must be made annually, based on the university’s fiscal year (July 1 – June 30).  All new activities as well as previously disclosed, on-going activities that span fiscal years must be reported.  This requirement applies to and includes the interests of an employee's spouse and immediate family members.

All disclosures can be submitted online at The system allows for electronic review and approval of disclosures, and maintains documentation of filings. An online Disclosure Decision Tree is available to help employees determine whether their external activities meet the requirements for disclosure. Disclosures from the previous fiscal year can be renewed by selecting “Start Renewal Application.”

The deadline for FY20 disclosures is September 30, 2019. If you have already disclosed for FY20, no further action is required unless there is a new activity or interest to report.

Researchers and investigators are reminded of their obligation to disclose all forms of support and financial interests in research proposals and disclose all outside professional activities and financial relationships, whether compensated or uncompensated, through the Virginia Tech online disclosure of outside activities and interest system linked above. Disclosures must include, but are not limited to, all work for, support from, or financial interests in or received from, a foreign institution of higher education or the government or quasi-government organization of another country. Support can include, but is not limited to, in-kind support such as foreign laboratory equipment or facilities.

Classified or University Staff members are reminded that requests for approval of outside employment and/or additional employment at Virginia Tech should follow university Policy 4070 using the form Request for Additional/Outside Employment for Classified or University Staff (Form P-36).

Please visit the COI website for additional information.