Events planned for Brain Injury Awareness Week
From: Schiffert Health Center
Brain Injury Awareness Month is March.
Schiffert Health Center and student organization, Synapse at Virginia Tech, have partnered with Cook Counseling Center, Services for Students with Disabilities, and Recreational Sports to provide a week of events. The mission for Brain Injury Awareness Week is to educate the community, recognize this important cause, and inspire research and innovation in the care of brain injury survivors.
- Feb. 25: Trivia Night, Deet’s Place, 7 p.m. Enjoy a fun night testing your brain injury knowledge. Hear from students who have recovered, or are recovering, from brain injury as they share their personal stories. The winning trivia team will receive a prize and one raffle winner will get a Sony wireless Bluetooth speaker.
- Feb. 26: Gentle Yoga for Brain Injury, Blacksburg Library, 5 - 6 p.m. Chair yoga and meditation adapted for those who have experienced brain injury and caregivers, friends, or family of those who have suffered a brain injury.
- Feb. 27: Free showing of the movie "The Crash Reel," Haymarket Theater, 7:30 p.m. “The dramatic story of one unforgettable athlete, Kevin Pearce; one eye-popping sport, snowboarding; and one explosive issue, Traumatic Brain Injury. A comeback story with a difference.” (Official Site) One raffle winner will receive a FujiFilm Instax Mini Camera.
- Feb. 28: Brain Injury Support Group, Blacksburg Library, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. Student organization, Synapse at Virginia Tech, holds a bimonthly support group for those who have experienced brain injury and their caregivers, family, or friends. Dinner is provided.
- March 1: Resource Fair & Symposium, McComas Gym, 2 - 5 p.m. Campus and community resources will have informational and educational tables. Beginning at 2:30 p.m., speakers engaged in research and treatment in the field of brain injuries will give brief presentations.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Monica Goyanko at 540-231-7705 or email firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.