Latest guidance regarding distribution of personal protective equipment (PPE)
Update: Aug. 6, 2020
New PPE items available - face coverings with clear windows and reusable face shields
Two new types of PPE are now available through the university’s centralized distribution process:
- Surgical face masks with clear windows that make visible a user's mouth and lips – in packages of 25 masks
- Reusable face shields (one visor-style headpiece and five reusable shields) – each
Departments are also encouraged to consider ordering neoprene gloves instead of nitrile gloves, which are still available but experiencing significant shortages in the supply chain. The neoprene gloves have a similar thickness to the nitrile ones and are currently in stock in sizes medium and large.
These items have been added to the available stock at the surplus warehouse and are included in the instructions for ordering centralized distributed PPE through HokieMart.
Departments should continue to place and pickup orders through the processes outlined previously.
Originial notice from July 10
From: Virginia Tech Procurement
Virginia Tech's centralized process for departmental ordering and campus distribution of personal protective equipment and supplies (PPE) is live.
All departments requesting PPE should pick up their orders from the Virginia Tech Surplus Warehouse, located at 1425 South Main Street in Blacksburg.
Departments should complete an Internal Service Form (ISR) in HokieMart to request any needed PPE. Orders that have been received and fully approved prior to 2 p.m. will be available for pickup the following business day. Pickup hours are 8:30 a.m.- 4 p.m.
The direct pickup requirement will remain in place through at least Aug. 3. At that time, Surplus Property staff may offer the option of direct deliveries to departments that are adequately staffed and can be available to receive the PPE orders.
The following products are available:
- 3-ply disposable surgical masks with ear loops – in packages of 50 masks
- 100 percent cotton, machine-washable cloth masks – in packages of 5 masks
- Nitrile gloves (Sizes S, M, L, and XL) – in boxes of 100 gloves
- Latex gloves (Sizes S, M, L, and XL) – in boxes of 100 gloves
- Hand sanitizer individual bottles (Sizes S, M or L) – each
- Disinfectant spray bottles – each (*please note, due to a national shortage, no disinfectant wipes are available)
- No-touch monitoring thermometers – each (one thermometer may be utilized for entire units)
- Face Shields (disposable) with elastic head band – in packages of 10 shields
Instructions for processing the ISR in HokieMart can be found here. A pricelist of the products will be located within the instructions, and all ISRs should be completed with appropriate unit pricing.
However, in concert with the university’s return to operations planning, PPE distribution to departments will be recovered using university central funds; invoices will show no charge to individual departments. Over-ordering, or disproportionate requests for PPE will be invoiced to individual departments at product cost with no markup.
If your department has not yet completed the PPE/Critical Supplies Planning Survey, please do so to help Procurement better anticipate ongoing campus needs.
The centralized distribution model for PPE will continue until the supply chain can support departmental direct purchasing. Virginia Tech Procurement will continue to share updates as more information becomes available.
Please visit the Procurement website for the latest details.